Public Safety Personnel Retirement System Board
The purpose of the Board is to administer the Apache Junction Police Public Safety Personnel Retirement System. In this regard, the Board:
- decides questions of eligibility and service credits, and determines the amount, manner and time of payment of any benefits due under the system;
- prescribes procedures to be followed by claimants filing applications for benefits;
- determines the right of any claimant to a benefit, and affords any claimant or the fund manager (or both) a right to a rehearing on the Board's original determination;
- distributes information (including annual reports) explaining and/or reporting on the retirement system to interested members/parties; and,
The Police Public Safety Personnel Retirement System (PSPRS) Board is composed of five members consisting of:
- the Mayor, or a designee of the Mayor (as chair),
- two members elected by secret ballot from the Apache Junction Police Department who are contributing members of the Plan
- and two citizens of Apache Junction.
One of the citizen members is the Chair of the Merit System Board. The citizen members of the Police PSPRS Board are appointed by the Mayor with the approval of the City Council.
All members serve a four-year term. There is no term limitation for Public Safety Personnel per A.R.S. §38-847.
The Secretary is responsible for handling all administrative functions for the local board including completing and retaining the minutes of each local board meeting. The Secretary serves as the liaison between the contributing membership, the local board members, and the PSPRS Administrative Office.
Currently board meetings are scheduled as necessary.